Tools for the "Standard 7 Teacher"

The goal of this activity is to collaborate and help each other become more effective "Standard 7 Teachers."

In Virginia, the 4 parts of Standard 7 of the Teacher Evaluation Model deal with the use of assessment data to make instructional decisions throughout the year that meet the needs of all students.  Standard 7 could easily be nicknamed the "Assessment FOR Learning Standard" or the "Standards Based Learning Standard."

Using the 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 model of assessment feedback, the following rubric could be applied to Standard 7.

0 - Unacceptable

The teacher does not assess students and/or does not use assessment data to determine grades, guide students, or guide instruction.  Students grades are not reflective of learning.

1 - Needs Improvement

The teacher assesses students but primarily uses that data to populate a grade book in order to determine an average.

2 - Developing

The teacher assesses students often and can use that assessment data to document growth.  Growth is documented primarily in terms of how grades have improved or decreased throughout the year.  Instructional decisions based on assessment data are made primarily for the class as a whole.

3 - Proficient

The teacher assesses on a daily basis and uses that assessment data as the basis for most instructional decisions.  Instructional decisions based on assessment data are learning/outcome-based.  In other words, the primary thought behind instructional decisions is not how can content be covered, but how can learning be increased.  Learning-based instructional decisions are made for the class as a whole, but are also regularly made for individual students as a result of individual student data.

4 - Exemplary

Along with all components of Proficient, the teacher serves as an example to others, either formally or informally.

Have a discussion with those seated near you about tools that can be used to enable teachers to move into the 3/4 categories.  As a group, leave examples of Standard 7 tools in the "Reply to This" box.  Then be sure to refresh so you can read what ideas your colleagues have listed.  

The goal of this activity is to collaborate and help each other become more effective "Standard 7 Teachers."

You need to be a member of The Assessment Network to add comments!

Join The Assessment Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use Socrative, IXL, Kahoot, Smart Pals, JumpRope, daily do now checks, IA, and also traditional practice problems so check frequently on where students are and to adjust instruction accordingly.  Many of these offer students immediate feedback.  I look at data to decide what needs more review and what I need to loop back to later. I also am able to use a lot of the software, especially IXL and JumpRope to document individual growth.

• Use the "label" function in Quia to label questions by standards. This allows you to run reports and see individual student achievement by standard. This easily allows individualized remediation that matches at student's weak area. 

• For CTE, refer to State Competency Lists to use in assessing students.  This insures that assessments are made for specific competencies.

• Kahoot, daily do-nows, interactive achievement, daily quizzes, white board/smart pals

• Use daily mini-quizzes to assess and track student growth.

• Reply for Robyn, Sarah, Justin, Amanda, and Pam

Daily quizzes, looping on tests, KAHOOT exercises, good old fashioned question/answer sessions (individualized and whole class)

• Socrative

Kahoot

Using "Do Now" time for looping back to previous material

Interactive Achievement Standards (SOL) breakdown and Interventions

Quizzizz

• One tool that I just used today is Quizizz.  It was great to see immediate data on each kid and be able to then pull a few kids to work with on specific skills.  

This reply was deleted.