The Assessment Network

Sharing assessment & grading strategies that help students learn

Welcome to The Assessment Network. Take a moment to let the other members know a little about you. Just reply to this Forum discussion with information about your role, your interest in Assessment FOR Learning, Standards Based Learning, or assessment in general, etc. Nothing is too short and nothing is too long.

Views: 3926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I teach Earth Science and Biology at Holston High. I am looking for ways to better assess learning in my labs.
I look forward to working with you tomorrow. Thanks for introducing yourself.
I'm starting my 25th yr of teaching and my 11th in Washington Co., VA.  I teach general music at John Battle HS and general music and chorus at E. B. Stanley music school.  Since we are going to block scheduling at the high school, I need to know more about assessment and what's going on!
Additional meaningful assessments will be a great way to use your additional time.
My name is Michelle Edwards and I teach multiple social studies subjects at Holston High School. I look forward to learning new ways to assess learning in my classroom.
I am an English teacher at John S. Battle High School.  After graduating from Emory & Henry College in 2001, I began my education career at Marion Senior High School, Marion, Virginia and taught at MSHS for five years.  I came to JSB in the fall of 2006 and have taught the following courses during my time here: AP Eng 11, Eng 10, Eng 10 Honors, and Journalism. In addition to my teaching duties, I have also served as Head Junior Class Sponsor/Prom Advisor and continue to serve as the Creative Writing Club Advisor.  I also recently received my Master's Degree in English from East Tennessee State University.
I am an English teacher and currently teach students in grades nine and twelve.  I have taught at three high schools in Virginia and Tennessee during my career.  My undergraduate degree is from Emory & Henry College and my graduate degree is from Radford University.  I enjoy working with students in the classroom and in extra-curricular activities.  I have experience as an adviser or facilitator in National Honor Society, Poetry Out Loud, One-Act Play, Big Brothers/Big Sisters.  I have also participated in the National Writing Project/Appalachian Writing Project-UVA-Wise.
Hi all, I'm a 6/7 th grade science teacher in MD.  I saw Scott's football analogyvideo and it made so much sense. I struggle to make sense of when and how to grade/evaluate student learning and progress.  Hoping to learn how to do that better here  to help me and my students.
Kim - glad you liked the video.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources on this site.  Let me know if you have questions or ideas, and feel free to share your own thoughts and strategies with others!
Hi,

I am Jim Allder and I teach Instrumental Music at Greenbrier East High School.  It seems as though in the performing arts, we have always been assessing for learning.  We rehearse and even perform in front of live audiences, then analyze what went well and what still needs work, then we apply those concepts to our future lessons in order to continue to improve.  What a great idea to apply this in more academic areas.
Jim - thanks for introducing yourself to the other members.  You're correct - the arts typically practice AFL very well.  I'm looking forward to visiting with your faculty next week!

This is my fourth year fulltime at Greenbrier East High School as a Special Education Teacher.  Teaching is my second career although I did originally attend college (CSU, Long Beach) to teach high school physical education.  Out of college I was recruited by Eastman Kodak Company, and enjoyed 14 + years with them.  I am so glad I took all that biology along side the physical education because it allowed me to become  "Highly Qualified" in science for my Special Education Certification.  I received my Teaching Credential from Marshall University Graduate School which makes me feel like part of the pack.  I teach core classes in East's Freshman Academy, and get to teach mixed grades Health & General Science, and 11th grade Earth Science.

I feel Assessment FOR Learning is more than a good thing; we, as teachers, do it all the time to find what and where we need to teach.   I am looking forward to communicating with my colleagues, and learning new ways to assess.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Scott Habeeb.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service