Read this tweet from author/educator Lee Ann Jung, and then respond in the Reply Box to the reflection question below:
Use these questions to guide your thoughts as you discuss this tweet with your colleagues and then formulate a response for the Reply Box below:
- How does Lee Ann Jung's question strike you? What thoughts come to mind?
- What do you think about author Daniel Pink's statement on compliance v. engagement?
- If you don't use points/grades to garner compliance, what do you use?
- Can a grade reflect content/skill mastery AND be used to achieve compliance at the same time? If so, how? If not, why not?
- Obviously we need young people to comply. How do we balance this basic need for compliance with our desire to build independence and ownership in students and to take them to more meaningful places than compliance alone?