Replies

• Conferencing frequently with students helps the students be more aware of skills that need to be mastered.

• Bobby uses a dodge ball to randomly have students answer questions for review.

Teresa reviews withe her Sped students using the whiteboard and study guides.

All of the teachers I work with in Math use whiteboards, bellwork, and practice sheets to check for understanding and retention.

• I have witnessed AFL in our school in the use of white boards to assess on the spot what a child knows and to reteach on the spot, using study guides to guide the test, exit cards, small quizzes.

• I know several teachers who are using AFLish type activities - giving students the chance to learn from their mistakes.
  • Experienced AFL by using exit slips, think-pair-share, conferencing, using white boards. Non AFL doing problems in the book for a grade and a test at the end of a chapter.
  • Quizzes or end of lesson questions are reviewed, checked/corrected by students and then used for future tests as study guides for end of unit tests.

• At the beginning of class, I have the students get their # card. (Each student assigned a number) they answer their daily question and place it back on the chart. I then go over the problem and then this shows me who needs extra work. They are not graded on this. It helps me to assess who needs extra help.
  • AFL has been present in some form in every classroom that I have stepped into. Everything that we do in the classroom is considered an assessment and what is cool is sometimes the students don't even know it.
  • Our group has experienced Assessment for Learning by having students write a fact or vocabulary that was covered during a class. An example of a non-AFI practice is a final exam or post test at the end of a semester.  You can see what the student has learned, but there is no more chance for improvement.

This reply was deleted.