Replies

• As a music teacher, I have experienced AFL daily in improving performance.
  • I want my students to do an assignment and to get feedback immediately if I am using AFL.  I do not want to do assignments that are not checked or analyzed or discussed.  I want them to feel successful, or to know immediately the reasons they were unsuccessful.  I think many students prefer to get the grade and move on...they might not care so much about the learning.
  • As a cosmetology instructor,  I tell my students that no grade is ever final they can re-test at any time to better their grade.

Nyana Malone

• My personal experience was read the book and take a test (although I do remember a lot of discussions and discussion grades in my upper level high school classes).
  • My son had a teacher in 3rd grade that gave a pre-spelling test and if
    a child made 100 then she would give them another list.  Now, that is
    all well and good but the words went from  a list such as - learn,
    teach, student, to words like - encyclopedia, thermometer, and
    assessment.  It did not take my son long to realize that he did not
    want to  make a 100.  She did not give them credit at all for the first
    test.  I tried to make her understand that  he saw it as a punishment
    to  make a good grade on the pretest.  She never understood and he
    never made another 100  Nyana Malone
  • My Latin teacher in high school would lecture and then say "Let's write a little bit!"  every day assessment.

• My son had a teacher in 3rd grade that gave a pre-spelling test and if a child made 100 then she would give them another list.  Now, that is all well and good but the words went from  a list such as - learn, teach, student, to words like - encyclopedia, thermometer, and assessment.  It did not take my son long to realize that he did not want to  make a 100.  She did not give them credit at all for the first test.  I tried to make her understand that he saw it as a punishment to  make a good grade on the pretest.  She never understood and he never made another 100.
  • I have never felt that I was taught math in a way that I could understand it, and as a result, I spent many hours, often in tears, over assignments.  I remember one class in high school in which assignments were given prior to being taught the concept, then having to work the problems on the board to be "taught" using our mistakes.  Our homework was then collected and graded.  That was the extent of practice.  Needless to say, I don't teach math.
  • As a foreign language teacher I encourage students to use homework, classwork and quizzes as practice. I generally give a completion grade for homework; if the student has attempted to answer each question they receive an A. I allow students to retake quizzes, and even tests, if they are willing to try to relearn the material. This works best because so much of what I teach builds upon what was taught before. I give traditional tests, but also love to assign projects at the end of a chapter so that students can show me how they can use the language outside of the traditional paper test.
    • I also count homework for completion grades; I compare the process to practice and the game.  If you will come to practice and try, then you did a good job.  The game or test is the big show and counts the most.
This reply was deleted.